Welcome to CAPES!
I am sure that many of you may be quite apprehensive about this upcoming experience, as many students have been in past. But here are a couple of statements from students from past semesters that might put your mind at ease...
"I have learned to focus on what students CAN do instead of what they CAN'T do. I have also learned a lot about myself and really got a confirmation that teaching really is the right thing for me. The biggest thing I have learned and anyone who has spent time with my student is to find the joy in life."
"I've definitely learned so much about myself in these last few weeks with regards to working with people with disabilities, as well as my own capabilities as a teacher. I've learned that individuals with disabilities are far more capable than we think they are. At first I was quite tentative to the things that my kid couldn't do, but as my eyes were open to the many things he could do (and do well), I learned that I can set higher expectations for him. I've also learned that I have to demand respect as well as be trustworthy when I am working with these people. They need to know that I need them to listen and not listening will result in consequences. They need to be able to trust me as well so they will openly engage in the things that I ask of them. I've also learned that praise is one of my best friends as an instructor or teacher. My kid responds the best when I give him the specific verbal praise that he deserves."
"I think this experience for me as a future teacher is huge! Just the idea of having the mentality of “what else can they do?” instead of “they can’t do____.” Is very instrumental in providing a positive learning experience for them. I think by focusing on their strengths then stretching them little by little. Whether it’s making something their good at a little harder or helping them on something they haven’t learned yet or haven’t mastered yet. They’re amazing little learners we just have to help them focus."
"This class has cemented what I leaned as a young kid. And that is no matter the students ability in one subject or way of life, they will excel in another area if you let them."
"CAPES! has really made me sure that teaching is where I should be. It just makes my day to see all of the kids and especially working with A and seeing how much fun she has. I've also really seen so much patience through her and it has definitely opened my eyes and made me more patient in many situations. I have also learned that it's not just about how it impacts me directly, but how it impacts the kids directly, and that it's so important to get out of my comfort zone because I was very skeptical about CAPES! at first, but now I really love it!"
"Starting out CAPES I was very hesitant, and not entirely interested in the program. I always saw it as sort of a nuisance. All of that has changed now, I have said in a previous post that capes gives me a sense of purpose, and makes me feel as though I am making changes not only in others' lives but mine as well."
"...Capes ha[s] been nothing what I expected, but everything I needed."
"I learned that...even though I wasn't some specialized assistant or teacher I could still plan useful/purposeful activities for a child with a disabilities"
For further info check out the CAPES Website
Welcome to CAPES! and we are looking forward to another fantastic semester!
No comments:
Post a Comment